YORKSHIRE AUX UNITS

Bill A
Can anyone supply info on these Aux Units in Yorkshire:

WELTON, BROUGH, and "Newton" (and if John stewart Maughan was an Auxiliar)

GUISBOROUGH

Re: YORKSHIRE AUX UNITS

Ex CART member Matthew Gibbs would might be able to help here Bill.

If you need his info let me know. I have 5 names attached to the Brough patrol but that is it.

Re: YORKSHIRE AUX UNITS

Bill A
I contacted Stephen Lewins by email and he kindly supplied me with the following info:

.......I had a look through my piles of paper and could not find any Caddy or Maughan listed as members of any patrols in the area. This as you know dosent mean they were not members.
  The Yorkshire Aux. had a split in late 1941 the North Riding left the East Riding and ended up as its own little group not in with Scotland and Northumberland 201 or in 202 which covered Yorks, Lincoln,Norfolk etc. The East Riding had a lot of patrols and the members are listed alt Kew and in Alan Williamsons "East Ridings Secret Resistance"
   The Brough patrol near Hull was Group No.9 Lt William Cross Commanding. 2nd Lt James Harrop with Sgts John Cross, Sgt Alan R Scott, Pte Robert Adie, William Beveridge, Thomas Campbell, Stephen Woodward earlier Ronald Masseyand  Alec Jeffrey were members but they moved to other patrols, this seems to have been a common practice in East Riding Units unlike elsewhere. Secuity must have been a bit slack as any number of members have been swapped around, Im sure they must have known about each other. All the Brough Patrol members work at the same aircraft factory in Hull.
   Back to Guisborough, I know of the site of an OB in Quarry Plantation to the west of Guisborough this was No.2 patrols OB. There are a few more but they are at Yearly Wood, Yearly to the south of Redcar and Wilton Wood east of Lazenby also south of Redcar. The whole area was kitted out as a massive bombing decoy site supposed to look like the Tees around Middlesborough from the air. There were many Home Guard pits and hides for running the decoy some may look like OB`s. There was also a large Out Station radio network that covered Ryehill Wood in Normanby, Skelton, Danby Low Moor a Chain Home Low Radar site, Glaisdale,Cloughton, Robin Hoods Bay, Goathland and a central radio Command Bunker at Coniscliffe. These were all "Elephant" type shelters and again look like OB`s. A similar set up operated further down the coast towards Hull which in turn linked to LIncolnshire and Norfolk, you get the picture, low frequency radio over short distances linked to another set of radios with the same low frequencies and so on to cover the operational areas around the coast.

Re: YORKSHIRE AUX UNITS

nabbers
I'm researching stay behind forces during the cold war period in Yorkshire.    Do you have any information on the structure of such units for that period?  My understanding is that there was a NATO directive that meant all NATO allies had to have forces embedded in society for the purpose of rearguard actions.

Re: YORKSHIRE AUX UNITS

Hi Nabbers,

We only normally focus on the Aux units. There might be some members who have knowledge of a cold war group. Time will tell I guess.

Re: YORKSHIRE AUX UNITS

Stephen Lewins
      The Newton patrol you are looking for is the Wold Newton patrol. The OB was in a quarry to the north of the village but has now been filled in. Patrol members Sgt.Louis Chapman, Cpl. Henry Streets, Pte. Arthur Sellers, Pte,Fred Sellers,Pte. John Elgey.All farmers or farm workers.

     The Brough patrol and Welton patrol are probably the same. The Brough patrol had 2 OB's one at Stockwell Plantation now gone and a Mk 2 elephant in Dale Plantation north of Weldon village. Patrol members Sgt. Alan Scott, Pte. Robert Adie, Pte. Bill Beveridge,Pte. Tom Campbell, Pte. Stephen Woodward,Pte. Ron Massey and Pte.Alec Jeffery. The last two were original members but left. Massey went to the South Cave patrol as Sgt. All worked at the Brough Aircraft factory as mainly draughtsmen.

 I hope this helps Bill. Still no info on Maughan though.

Re: YORKSHIRE AUX UNITS

Neil
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the interesting post. Lt William Cross was a farm worker and don't think Sgt John Cross worked at the aircraft factory at that time.

Re: YORKSHIRE AUX UNITS

CART Yorkshire
Banned User
This post was updated on .
You could say that Security was very lax, with Unit members moved around and the fact that I have testimony to say that at least a dozen or more patrols would meet up at Rolston Camp on the coast to undertake training. The guys knew one another and chatted openly, nothing was done to keep them apart which was unbelievable when you think about it. The Group Commanders therefore would have known each other as well as the Group Sergeants and they met regularly at Rolston and Middleton On The Wolds.

NB this post was not meant to criticise the actual chaps on the ground of which I have the utmost respect for. The criticism if any should be laid at he door of the top brass as they would of sanctioned any interaction of Patrols and Group Commanders. The secrecy surrounding the auxiliary Units was paramount and yet it is said that a dozen or so Patrols would congregate to carry out training which I found both in stark contrast to everything we have been told and secondly a security nightmare. We have also found that if a Patrol member changed jobs as seasonal and farm workers often do then he would change Patrols often with Patrols losing an experienced member.