Winchester 74 optical scope

Auxilier
I have come across an article that states the Winchester 74 was ussued to the AU in 1942  and was fitted with a Parker Hale muffler and a No.42 straight through optical sight. The illustration shows a sight similar to the one on our 74s. I beleive this was an artilliary sight and I think they were nade by the M.H.R. Co. I have a No.45 sight that is identicl in appearance to the No.42 illustrated made in 1943. Does anyone have information on these sights? What about the sight you  have Clive? Cheers all, Vob
Kind Regards

Bob Millard
Email:bob@millardr.freeserve.co.uk

Re: Winchester 74 optical scope

Thanks for this Bob.

I will mention it in our next newsletter if knowone has responded by then.

Re: Winchester 74 optical scope

Clive Bassett
Hi Bob, will attach some images of my Aux Unit scope, also a little information as well that was taken from a book. Hope you are keeping well, all the best, Clive.

Re: Winchester 74 optical scope

Clive Bassett
Image 2

Re: Winchester 74 optical scope

Clive Bassett
Image 3

Re: Winchester 74 optical scope

Clive Bassett
Image 4

Re: Winchester 74 optical scope

Clive Bassett
Image 5

Re: Winchester 74 optical scope

Clive Bassett
Image 6 - Final

Re: Winchester 74 optical scope

Richard Ashley
  Dear Bob,
     Clive has the sight generally stated as being the one used by the Aux-Units. Either the No.42 or No.53 Mk.1 scope, as per the No.32 but without drum adjustment. I don't recall the No.45 but these days, that means nothing ! I'm sure that coupled to suitable dovetail blocks, it will look superb.
   Splendid to read that you are up and running in spite of this endless cold, damp weather. Kindest regards my friend,
                              Richard.

Re: Winchester 74 optical scope

Auxilier
Hello Richard and Clive,

Many thanks for pictures and comments. My No45 is very similar in appearance. Where the the increased diameter of the tube of the No43 is formed from the tube the No45 has  a larger diameter barrel containing the rear lense. It does not have the adjustment barrel shon on the No43, The reticule is not cross hayrs but concentric range circules. In appearance on my 74 it passes at a first glance.

I am puzzled by the comment the sight was easily knocked out of alignment, ours with a cross hair reticule knocked over many rabbits without any problems. My No45  attached with dovetail blocks is as solid as a rock. I know Oxenden refers to this as a problem but cannot understand why.  Bath Admiralty patrols had the Winchesrer 67 The link below shows an illustration of this model with a Winchester sight that is much loner than the No43 and might be more prone to maladlustment /  The BSA 12 I gave to the museum has, I beleive, beem fitted with a scope presented by an ex Auxilier. Does Richard know what model scope this is as I think it is ab original AI scope.

Interesting details can be gfound at;

www.rifleman.org uk Follow links to Enfield and other training rifles ,  snter HARC website and scroll index to Winchester training rifles and scroll to sniper rifle. (I I have got this right!)

Cheers, Bob

Kind Regards

Bob Millard
Email:bob@millardr.freeserve.co.uk

Re: Winchester 74 optical scope

Malcolm_A
Hi,
Does anyone know of any other type of scope, other than the No.42 and No.53, that were fitted to the Aux Unit Winchester 74?  Incidentally, I have one No.42 with post and horizonal hair and another which only has a horizonal hair.  Any idea what the latter might have been used for - or is it just bust!
Regards
Malcolm Atkin
atkinmw@aol.com

Re: Winchester 74 optical scope

Welcome to CART Malcolm.

I am sure one of our experts will be able to answer your question soon.

Re: Winchester 74 optical scope

Malcolm Atkin
To answer my own question! In 'Churchill's Underground Army' there is a pic of Leiston, Suffolk patrol with a member carrying a Winchester 74 fitted with what appears to be a Winchester A5 scope (pics following p.170).
Malcolm