Were there any Auxilliary Units in Northamptonshire?

Were there any Auxilliary Units in Northamptonshire?

Clive Bassett
Talking this afternoon to members of the Pitsford Home Guard Living History Unit, whilst at the Sywell Airshow, they seem to recall mention made at the recent Coleshill event that there were Aux Units in Northamptonshire. They said that in one of the talks it was said that there was an Aux Unit in Wellingborough, can anyone confirm this one way or the other. Many thanks, Clive.

Re: Were there any Auxilliary Units in Northamptonshire?

Hi Clive,

We have nothing on our database for that area.

I suggest you email Will Ward.

Re: Were there any Auxilliary Units in Northamptonshire?

Austin J. Ruddy
Hi Clive

I once met someone at a re-enactment event who told me that he understood there were Auxunits aroundthe airfields in Northamptonshire. Could believe it, but as with all these sort of things, unless you see some sort of proof, it could be wishful thinking.

That said, I've recently spoken to a chap who has photocopies of his grandfather's Countryman's Diary... who was based in the open countryside in the south of Leicestershire, so who who knows?

Austin

Re: Were there any Auxilliary Units in Northamptonshire?

Clive Bassett
Many thanks for the replies. Tom, can you let me have a contact for Will Ward and I will try to follow this up further. By the way, hope all went well with the wedding, many congratulations to you both again. Interesting Austin about the Leicestershire connection, I believe there is still quite a lot to uncover and discover about the Aux Units. I would like to believe that Aux Units guarded airfields here in Northamptonshire, however until some hard evidence is forthcoming I think I must consider it as hearsay. All the best, Clive.

Re: Were there any Auxilliary Units in Northamptonshire?

CARL B
Y Hi CLIVE ONLY ONE IN WELLINGBOROUGH CARL.

Re: Were there any Auxilliary Units in Northamptonshire?

Scarphaze
Secret bunker in Northampton is sign posted from main roads, I think there's one in a wood at grange park it has a rotted scrubbing brush in a concrete bowel inside it easy to find

Re: Were there any Auxilliary Units in Northamptonshire?

CARL B
Clive was very pleased to hear that you used my research to contact the Jedburghs through my good friend Burce Heimark. The plaque in Peterborough cathedral looks good.Still got the Norwegian flag that flew from the tower at OSS area H holme it was given to max by col stroud.  Still doing lots of research a few new groups . All the best Carl.

Re: Were there any Auxilliary Units in Northamptonshire?

CARL B
PS I now have the names of the Auxilliary unit at Elsham . Many items are in a glass case on my wall by J D ww2 member of the unit. It seams a long time now when I hosted the 1995 reunion when Bernard and I founded the carpetbagger museum.All the Best carl .

Re: Were there any Auxilliary Units in Northamptonshire?

Buck
I live in Northants on an old farm 3 miles from Silverstone, 2 miles Turweston and 3 miles from Hinton air fields. We converted and old barn which had a brick built chamber which went down about 10 foot and opened into a caved in enclosure.  We were talking with the old lady from across the road who knew the farmer that lived at our house and she indicated that he was the head of the local auxiliary unit and also a member of the normal home guard as well.  She was close with this chap and seemed to think he had a hide out in the area we found the entrance. I have his name so there must be some record of his role?