Was Anthony Quayle the Coleshill House Boss?

Was Anthony Quayle the Coleshill House Boss?

I member of the public has come forward and told me that the actor Anthony Quayle was running Coleshill House throughout the war.

I new that Anthony Quayle was involved with the Unit but had no idea he ran Coleshill.

I have also heard that David Niven also spent time at Coleshill.

Can anyone else confirm this please?

Re: Was Anthony Quayle the Coleshill House Boss?

Martin Kender, one of our members adds the following

Malcolm Hancock was O/C Coleshill for a period, or at least he says he was, but we know that he did several other things, so Quayle may have been director at some point but not throughout.

Re: Was Anthony Quayle the Coleshill House Boss?

Bill Ashby
During 1941 Captain Anthony Quayle lead Auxiliary Units in Northumberland. Although he probably visited Coleshill House he was not part HQ Staff.  He then went to Gibraltar and was involved in the planning of Operation Torch.  Later he joined SOE and was dropped into Albania.
See these to links for more information:

http://www.btinternet.com/~david.waller/chronicle230468.htm
http://www.btinternet.com/~david.waller/chronicle240468.htm

David Niven was an I.O. in Scotland.

Re: Was Anthony Quayle the Coleshill House Boss?

I thought that might be the case.

The person that contacted me must have been mistaken on both counts....

Thanks for the response.

Re: Was Anthony Quayle the Coleshill House Boss?

Bill A
On page 228 of John Warwicker's book "with BRITAIN in MORTAL DANGER" Dorothy Rainer ATS SD Signals is quoted as saying " ...After this we came Wilton Castle in Southern Command with Anthony Quayle as IO...."

Re: Was Anthony Quayle the Coleshill House Boss?

Richard Hancock
Malcolm Hancock was at Coleshill from around November 1943

http://thesomme.wordpress.com/malcolm-hancock/the-auihary-units/

but I not sure for how long.

I know Anthony Quayle's son-in-law very well and have forwarded information of this to him.

Richard Hancock (MEH's grandson)

Re: Was Anthony Quayle the Coleshill House Boss?

CartDorset
I missed this thread before.
As mentioned Anthony Quayle seems to have started out as IO in Northumberland where he was fondly remembered. He was there from 1941 to mid/late 1942 when Victor Gough replaced him. He then seems to have spent a while a Special Duties IO, which interestingly he overlooks in his biography. He then went to Gibralter as ADC, a job that Major Peter Forbes apparently recommended him for, by Forbes' own account. I don't think we have any evidence so far that he was ever a member of the staff at Coleshill.

The picture in The Last Ditch is the only wartime one of him I have seen.

Will