UNIFORM - CLOTH CAPS

Bill A
A question from Nina and me

Can anyone identify the cloth caps worn by the two individuals in the picture.

Re: UNIFORM - CLOTH CAPS

scrimmers
Chap on the right I strongly suspect is a German POW

He has a M1943 German army "Feldmutzen"

POWs often wore marked British Denims for work...and somewhere I have comparative pics...

Re: UNIFORM - CLOTH CAPS

Thanks for this but these people should all be Auxiliers and not German.

Maybe they 'obtained' the caps from friends etc

Re: UNIFORM - CLOTH CAPS

Bill A
I agree that it looks german but the guy wearing the 'feldmutzen' style cap was British serving in the Queens Royal Regiment and a member of the East Sussex Scout Section of Auxiliary Units.

The photo was probably taken in 1941 or 1942. No later.

Did the Queens Royal Regiment serve in the BEF and if 'feldmutzen' were worn in 1940 it could have been a souvenir - a prize of war ?

Re: UNIFORM - CLOTH CAPS

Peter A
Rather, it looks like an M43 Einheitsfeldmutze, which was a peaked cap introduced in 1943, to replace the M38 Feldmutze, which was a side cap, similar to the British one seen in the photo to the left.

M38:
http://www.ww2sale.com/image/cache/data/German%20Helmets%20Caps/WH%20Replica%20Of%20Enlisted%20M38%20Field%20Cap%20MY003-500x500.jpg

M43:
http://www.surcompany.com/listing5-headgear/ssm43/ssgry1c.jpg

But the guy still looks as if he's wearing British battledress . . . perhaps it's a war trophy? But if its an M43, it would be later in the war, perhaps mid-to-late 1943?

Re: UNIFORM - CLOTH CAPS

Nina
If it helps the chap in the left hand picture is an Auxilier from Cornwall and the picture was taken at stand down.
I have no idea if he saw active service.

Re: UNIFORM - CLOTH CAPS

Bill A
Peter -

It has to be headgear worn before 1942 as the photo was taken during constructions of an OB in East Sussex.  My Dad's Scout Section were all Queens Royal Regiment men (Dads Regt also),

Several battalions of Queens had served with the BEF and I would guess that this Feldmutz (?)was something that the wearer had brought back with him. Any thoughts what it could be if not an M43?

The other photo sent to me by Nina was taken at Standown 1944 in Devon or Cornwall.  Looks sand coloured but it's a B/W photo
ND1

Re: UNIFORM - CLOTH CAPS

ND1
I've just joined this forum so please excuse me revisiting this thread.
I'm certain that the chap in the cap to the right isn't wearing anything as exotic as a german cap just an FS cap with the peak folded down.

Re: UNIFORM - CLOTH CAPS

Bill Ashby
Welcome - and thank you for joining in.  Do you have a photo of the type of FS Cap you believe it to be or can lead me to where one is illustrated.

Kind regards

Re: UNIFORM - CLOTH CAPS

Malcolm_A
Hi,
here is a pic of a field Service cap in its normal configuration, followed by a pic of the same cap with the peak pulled down.  They were also worn with the side flaps pulled down to make a sort of balaclava.
Regards
Malcolm
FS Cap
FS Cap with peak down