Rubber Trucheon

Phil M - Bristolbloke
Hi All,

I have in my possesion a rubber truncheon which is very similar to the one pictured, are there any makers marks etc on the Aux Unit one (pictured)?

All the best

phil

Re: Rubber Trucheon

There is not a picture featured Phil. You need to register with Nabble to be able to add pictures. It is free and fast to do.

Re: Rubber Trucheon

Richard Ashley
  Dear Phil,
    There is no photograph to see your truncheon but, the Aux-Units were issued with such a device, hard black rubber, around 13 7/8th. long by 1 1/4" diameter and a transvers hole about 1 1/2" from the end for attaching a cord loop. The ends should be chamfered to 1/8" x 45 degrees. Some folk have stated that these were manufactured between the wars for riot control but I can find no positive information to confirm this. I do believe that these were made purely for Aux-Unit use early in 1940. One at Parham has been grooved at the grasping end for a more secure hold. These coshes were not simply used for hitting, pressure points were tought that resulted in paralysis and death. If your truncheon fits these dimensions, you have a very rare item. Talcum powder or French chalk rubbed into the surface will prolong its life if it shows signs of ageing. Rubber by design, will eventually degrade, chalk will extend its life.

Re: Rubber Trucheon

Auxilier
Hello Richard, I have my original truncheon and it is as you describe, it has a cord wrist strap 1 1/2" trom the end. I understand these were issued grom WO anti-riot sticks.  Bob
Kind Regards

Bob Millard
Email:bob@millardr.freeserve.co.uk

Re: Rubber Trucheon

I am glad to see you can now post Bob.

I look forward to seeing your posts from now on.

Re: Rubber Trucheon

thebristolbloke
Rubber Truncheon

Hi All,

This is the one I mentioned. Mine is slightly different in that the hole is drilled just above hand height on the baton. I'll see if I can borrow a digital camera and post some pics.

phil

Re: Rubber Trucheon

Thanks for adding that Phil. It looks great.

We need to get you over to give a talk. Can you get to Swindon train Station?

Re: Rubber Trucheon

Clive Bassett
I would welcome opinion on this Rubber Truncheon Cosh. I have been told it may have belonged to a member of an Auxiliary Patrol, however I have no way of proving it. It seems to have age and is some 15 inches long and about one and a quarter inches in diameter. It has a marking on the side which states The "Stunner". It could of course be pre- WW2, WW2 or post- WW2, Civilian, Police or Military. I would welcome comment and opinions. Regards, Clive.