Roy Britcher's patrol in Essex

Clare Britcher
My husband Stephen is looking for his uncle, Roy Britcher's patrol in Essex. He thinks it was in Steeple, Essex. Has anyone heard of this patrol, or know anyone else in the patrol. We would love to hear more of its history.
At the time Roy worked on his father's small holding in Nipsells Chase, Mayland, Essex. His 3 brothers were in the home guard. their names were Harold, Stephen's father, Kenneth and Albert.

Re: Roy Britcher's patrol in Essex

Hi Claire,

One of our researchers has replied with the following. I hope this helps.

The Essex patrol was part of Group 7 The Dengie group under Capt R L Bennitt and Lt WR B Dodgson

Sgt W Rigby
Cpl A L Witts
Pte A J Howard
Pte Roy Britcher
Pte Kenneth S Birtcher
Pte R J Patterson
Pte JC Phillips

Other patrols in the group were Dnegie, Burnham on Crouch, Scuthminster and Latchingdon. Other than the above I don't have any other info as such.

Re: Roy Britcher's patrol in Essex

CART Dorset
Just to mention that the Group Leader was Capt Reginald Sennitt. He features in David Lampe's book "The Last Ditch" as the man who called the police in 1964 to tell them that he had all the supplies for his patrols still in his milking shed! The Army had forgotten to collect them! There is a list of the explosives, which would have included Roy Britchers supplies. He lived at Dengie and it also mentions that the patrols all had problems with their OBs (bunkers) flooding.

Perhaps you can let us know if the family know any more about the wartime activities of Roy & Ken.

Will Ward