Researching Oxfordshire

Nick Richardson
I am researching any history of Auxiliary Units in Oxfordshire, if you have any leads or information it would be appreciated.  nick@clicknick.com

Re: Researching Oxfordshire

Hi Nick,

I have contacted our CIO's and this first response is as follows.

I think plenty scope on Fleming family. Though Peter Fleming was only briefly involved he really set the shape for Aux Units. His brother Bill was in Lovat Scouts and doubtless lent his brother the Kent Scouts. Obviously everyone picks up on the Ian Fleming, Bond & gadgets links, but Peter wrote wartime books including on Hitler parachuting into GB by accident which mirrored Hess story closely enough to cause raised eyebrows - and of course there is a Hess - SDS story already - enough to write a conspiracy theory book!

Then through Fleming one can link to Mad Mike Calvert & SAS.

Fleming family still around and as a writer he might still have interesting notes on his time in Aux Units.
 DR Will Ward - CART Dorset