Possible Patrol's in Bedfordshire

Added by Stephen Lewins;

Looking at the Beds Aux letter I wonder if this unit was set up by Geo Manning after a meeting on a course/ training ex. There is another story about a unit in Annesley, Nottinghamshire that sounds similar. The Bedford HG may have set up their own unit to defend RAF Cardington see tha attached link http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/30/a2674730.shtml this comes from another HG member who worked at the same Igranic Electrical factory. If memory serves me rightly the Notts "Aux" unit listed Lewis guns and Blacker Bombard obviously not Aux issue.

Im sure there were other units set up to do similar work. The link to the BBC History piece mentions lots of weeked and mainly night work. Funnily enough I looked at the HG record for Bedfordshire and the only mention it gets is about 3 lines praising an officer for helping defuse a bomb..not much seems to have happened in Beds !!!

Re: Possible Patrol's in Bedfordshire

drop zone
A bed time story
How do! maybe I can tell you something about Bedfordshire Home Guard, I know of several REDOUTS or if you prefer, call them bunkers in Buckinghamshire, that have corrugated steel tube –pipe entrances and escape exits in the bottom of ditches, personnel used to travel on foot going across country and under the canal tunnel at tinkers bridge before the bridge was built, from what is now Milton Keynes to Bedford often stopping over night in bunkers that had flat concrete roofs and brambles growing on top for added concealment (WE STAYED IN ONE, one night near Kent’s Hill, Milton Keynes Village) I’ll tell you that during WWII the Special Air service also had a unit stationed in Bedford during the 1940’s.
If you are light footed and like to adventure?
there are some bunkers in a wood at the back of a housing estate in Milton Keynes called Conniburrow, the wood's called (Linford wood), not far from the petrol station and there’s more to that place than meets the eye, I found evidence that would suggest that 21 Special Air service were stationed in the wood at Linford wood during 1943 under a certain captain.
Who knows maybe he rode a three wheeled bike in his underpants, and got himself arrested one summer.
 Research via Milton Keynes Council told me that it used to be some sort of radio station during WWII.  Rusted small arms, Sten’s were found; I would say there are 2 or more main bunkers OB in size with several smaller storage and equipment bunkers, have manners if you ever find one and decide to enter, Knock Knock!
One day during the 1970's I met two old blokes in that wood no one was allowed up there at the time, they were dressed in black 1940's Battle Dress before the area was built up and inhabited, I was asked to help them with something, much later than that in the 1990's I found an old uniform when I entered one of those bunkers the uniform had Special Air Service in RED and BU and BE flashes in black and white under that, Pegasus on the other arm. Such a beautiful thing to look at, BU is for Bucks and BE is for beds with me so far.
If you dare! Spend enough time, there you will see.
I know the bunkers do exist, in several places as We (DESTROYED) the air vent pipes that are now hidden, There are also some bunkers some friends and I - we found on another  estate called Netherfield where we used to live, when we were kids during Netherfield’s construction.  Near the meeting place on Farmborough it’s in the hedges near the meeting place you’ll see a large mound, well that’s one of them, the turners had one in their garden and another situated at the side entrance to Langland School, stuff was found in there a long time ago in the 1970’s Enfields and a Thompson.  Some old blokes turned up, when the police arrived a fight broke out, they made good their escape with their booty.
In defence of 1940’s Britain, Winter Hill Chesney Wold near Red Moor also in Milton Keynes has bunkers that were used as Air Raid shelters behind the factories and storing Anti aircraft 40mm Bofors HE ammunition other equipment and stuff, Bofors emplacements.  There used to be an old house, wind sock and small landing strip there on the other side of the track during the 1970’s, a long time ago, I went in one of those bunkers, in along and then up.  My grandfather showed me something about that place.
In a wood near (Winter Hill, Chesney Wold) 1970’s an air drop supply container was found containing 9mm ammunition Sten’s, colt 45’s, explosives, fuses and other stuff, Years later a crash site for an experimental Mosquito fighter – light bomber that had an accident and clipped some tree tops on its way back to Cranfield, was found near Central Milton Keynes, Maybe it was jettisoned out of that plane? Also in the 1980’s found one of those 500LB bombs that missed Bletchley Park one night during a WWII air raid. The old Trial bike course at Winter Hill has a large pond; beside a small wood, well that’s a bomb crater, it also has a hidden bunker to the rear of it.
During WWII, 1940’s, Station X based at Bletchley Park, moved to Whaddon Village, the big white house on the hill, it was then used by SOE - MI5 - MI6 something like that, look for the carpet baggers, now tell me if that’s wrong.  Anyhow a Bunker was found with trap door and radio wire marks in a nearby tree, found in Oakhill wood, now behind HMP wood hill, before the prison was built.  Smaller storage bunkers were also found along some of the old rides in the wood.  The farmer at Greens or was it Grange farm told me about them, said they were empty. You will find old OB – bunker type roofing materials in this wood.  The wood is owned by HM Prison service, if you ask for permission to (WALK) in the wood they will probably say yes, as I asked, housing has now been built on the edge of Oakhill wood.  Shame really, was such a nice place back in the day. So if you’re interested in this, maybe I could send you some more information and location pictures.  Think it’ll be ok to do that.

Re: Possible Patrol's in Bedfordshire

Thanks for this.

Do you have any images of these locations please?

One of our members adds;

The concealed bunker near Whaddon is of interest to us was there were suggestions that TRD sets may have been there too.

A bunker with aerial tree sounds rather like it might fit the bill. The clusters of bunkers sound more like ammo storage than OBs. However since RE tunnelling engineers built most underground structures they often looked similar.

http://www.g3msw.demon.co.uk/NL%2032%20Imgs.doc

Not directly relating to the sites discussed, but see this link and description of intercept stations - including an underground design.

Re: Possible Patrol's in Bedfordshire

Drop Zone
How do,

I have some recent  pictures of the Linford Wood site and I'll take some of the other sites I know of, it is up-to you if you decide - want to visit and dig it up for yourself  and then re-conceal it, I used a metal detector, Milton Keynes Trust now look after the wood, the entrance is not to deep underground maybe 12 inches there again they never are. I don't think you'll have any trouble for it.

I have my own web-server, and I can upload the pictures I have taken, tonight for the benefit of the group, and then post you a link tonight or in a day or two if that's suitable with you? alternatively you could post me your email address or something like that and I'll email them to you. You're welcome, I'm glad to be of some help with such an interesting subject and if you are lucky you may one day find a Buckinghamshire OB.

Re: Possible Patrol's in Bedfordshire

Hi there,

Great yes please do email them. You have three options really, 1 is that we share them with the world on the site, 2 is that we share them only with CART members on our memebrs only site or 3 is that we share them only with our researchers (about 13 people).

Please email them to hq@coleshillhouse.com

Thanks again

Re: Possible Patrol's in Bedfordshire

Drop Zone
I'm in the process of making a presentation slideshow near done. I'll email it to you in a coupe of days in the meantime hears some images of potential roofing material. regards

Trevor

Re: Possible Patrol's in Bedfordshire

Drop zone
I emailed part 1 sideshow today good luck with it part 2 to follow when I get out and about a bit more with the camera.

Re: Possible Patrol's in Bedfordshire

drop zone
About red land mines with chaines on the bottom of them Off topic maybe,

are there sand dunes at jay wick sands and St Osyth Priory? as I used to go there with my grand parents  when I was younger.

reason I ask is I remember a red land mine with a chain attached to the bottom of it when I was a child maybe it opened something hidden in some dunes somewhere.

my Grandfather bob and grandmother louise, and aunt mary showed me a few things, not wanting to waste your time with this post I didnt realise jaywick sands was in essex.
 the old games arcadehas some nice old pieces in it.

Re: Possible Patrol's in Bedfordshire

drop zone
Hello it's me again I'll give you part 2 - some more information this year watch this space...