OB Restoration

ND1

OB Restoration

ND1
Hi,

This is my first post here although I've been researching my local Aux unit for some time.
As part of a larger WWII project I've been given the chance to be involved in the restoration of a Northumberland OB the location of which has as yet not been known (by researchers).

The land owner does not want me to make the site location public until it has been fully recorded which I can understand. I've had problembs in the past after posting the locations of "new" pillboxes which  lead to an angry farmer ringing up to have a go at me about  trespassers.

The intention is that in maybe 2014 we'd begin the resoration/reconstruction of a semi collapsed OB. It  will be rebuilt in such a manner that members of the public could visit the site and there will be interprative pannels.
We have one patrol members name, a photo of the members of 201 that manned the OB as well as a copy of the stand down letter. There is also the remains of a .32 colt revolver recovered form a near by stream which I suspect comes from the patrol.

I'd like to gauge intrest in the project at this very early stage before we get started. Obviously there will be lots to do, we will have very good support provided by the landowner. The site recording will start in February or March 2013 which will eventually lead to propsals to seek funding to help cover some of the cost of the stabilization of the remains and then the reconstruction.

This will be a fairly small project in terms of heritage tourism but an exciting one for me. I'd be very greatful of any advise and help that can be offered.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Re: OB Restoration

Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting this it sounds very interesting.

CART is a sharing network for researchers and I am sure we would be more than happy to help and advise on this project.

Our CIO for Northumberland is very knowledgeable about all the patrols in the county.

We are currently restoring an OB in Kent and are keeping this location a closely guarded secret for similar reasons to you.

Can I suggest in the spirit of participation that maybe you discuss with us about creating a blog on the project which we can host on the site? A pictorial account of the restoration.

We get hundreds of hits to our website each day and our members and viewers would love to follow the progress of the work.

ND1

Re: OB Restoration

ND1
Thanks I can certainly do that.
I'll start by taking photos of whats left now before anything is done.

Re: OB Restoration

Can you please email hq@coleshillhouse.com so we can discuss directly.