Mautby Patrol (Norfolk)

Evelyn Simak
I would be interested to hear from anyone who might be able to help me with names of the Mautby Patrol members.  The only information that I have to date is that Harry Wharton was their Commander (taken from list in D Lampe's book 'The Last Ditch') and that Wharton's brother Charlie farmed in the area (personal communication).

Re: Mautby Patrol (Norfolk)

Hi there,

Yes we have Harry Wharton on our database listed under 'Norfolk Goup 5'.

Other than the patrol names listed here we have a range of names on our database that are not attached to specific patrols.  These are;

Norfolk Group 5 H Wharton Lt.          Group Leader
Norfolk Group 5 G V Bowles Sgt.          Asst. Group Leader ?
Group 5 Patrol C E J Starkings Sgt.          Patrol Leader
Group 5 Patrol C W J Gould Cpl.
Group 5 Patrol C B L Evans
Group 5 Patrol C L R Smith
Group 5 Patrol C G J Starkings
Group 5 Patrol C J W White
Group 5 Patrol B G H Wain Sgt.          Patrol Leader
Group 5 Patrol B E J Nicholls
Group 5 Patrol B L J Tingate
Group 5 Patrol B A J K Wolterton
Group 5 Patrol B S C Locke
Group 5 Patrol A G H Mixer Sgt.          Patrol Leader
Group 5 Patrol A J L Chapman
Group 5 Patrol A R G Chapman
Group 5 Patrol A H F Edwards
Group 5 Patrol A R Moore
Group 5 Patrol A O G Toyell
Group 5 Patrol A H P E Neave

Does any of this help?

If you can place these men into one patrol it would be a great help. You may also want to email cartnorfolk@gmail.com and speak to our local research Jeremy.

Re: Mautby Patrol (Norfolk)

Evelyn Simak
Many thanks for above list of names.  The only name I can confirm is Harry Wharton's, listed as the  Commander of Mauty Patrol in D Lampe's book.  I don't have any other  names but we have found the OB.  I have contacted the Norfolk CIO directly by using the link, a couple of days ago, but have not heard back from him.

Re: Mautby Patrol (Norfolk)

OK. I am sure he will be in touch soon.

Re: Mautby Patrol (Norfolk)

Stephen Lewins
Hello

From what I have the Mautby patrol had the following members all from around the Runham, Mautby and Filby areas. Sgt. G.H.Wain
                                    Pte. E.J.Nichols
                                    Pte. L.J. Tungate
                                    Pte.A.J.K. Wooltordon
                                    PTe. S.C. Locke
Lt. Harry Wharton was Group 5 C/O and lived at Church Farm, Mautby. The other patrols he was I/c of were South Walsham and Wroxham?
  I hope this helps

Re: Mautby Patrol (Norfolk)

Evelyn Simak
Many thanks, Stephen, very helpful indeed!  I am planning to post a few pictures of the Mautby OB as we found it, as soon as time allows.

Re: Mautby Patrol (Norfolk)

Stephen Lewins
Hello Evelyn,

   The piece on Mautby is very good and intresting. You mentioned in the piece Bill Leech from another patrol. Do you know which patrol he was in ?? I have him and Russel Robert Leech both Aux members and both from Lowestoft (I have both addresses).
   Russel Robert Leech was in Group No.9 which had Fritton and two other patols, if Bill was not in the same patrol as RR Leech it could identify one of these other two. Any info welcomed. cartnorthumberland@gmail.com

cheers Stephen

Re: Mautby Patrol (Norfolk)

Evelyn Simak
This post was updated on .
Stephen,

Concerning Billy Leach (mentioned in context with Mautby OB) - he was a member of Fritton Patrol.

We (that is myself and my friend and research partner Adrian Pye)  have the names Billy Leach, Sonny Leach (both builders from Lowestoft) and Stan C. Fuller for Fritton patrol.  Their CO was Lt. W.W. Ward.  We have pictures of their OB, taken 25 years ago, showing that it was in excellent condition back then, and we have an approximate location.  Needless to say that we are trying to find it.

We have the name Blyth (this is the only name we have found) as member of what we guess would have been Somerleyton Patrol.  Do you happen to know if there was a Somerleyton Patrol, and if so, do you have names?  Their CO was also Lt. W.W. Ward.

We know that their OB still exists but it has collapsed in the 1970s.  Access is difficult because it is situated on private land, and we've been advised that the landowner does not commonly permit anybody to see it.  We have contacted the estate manager and are currently waiting to hear back from him.  If this is not successful we'll try another approach.

We have seen and photographed a third site (in the same area) that looks as if it could have been an OB.  I am planning to post pictures of it on this forum in order to learn what others think.

Billy Leach never mentioned this third site - perhaps because it was not an OB at all or because he knew nothing about it.  He did, however, know of Somerleyton Patrol's OB (if we can assume that indeed there was a Somerleyton Patrol) but he failed to find it again later, explaining that he was only ever taken there during night-time.

Do you have information as to how many patrols operated in this area?  You mention Fritton and two others.  We have Fritton and (presumably) Somerleyton, what's the third?

Best
Evelyn

Re: Mautby Patrol (Norfolk)

Stephen Lewins
Hello Evelyn,

  From what I have the following names and places may be of use to you.
Nofolk Group No.9 C/o W. Ward of Fritton Old Hall
                           2nd I/c  Longfields of Block Hall, Lowestoft

Fritton Patrol

 Sgt. George Henry Blyth
Pte. Wilfred Harold Meadows
Pte. Henry Fredrick Watson - Filby
Pte. John charles White - Station Cotts. St. Olaves
Pte. Sydney George Howlett
Pte. William Leech - Lowestoft

unknown Patrol with no addresses for members, possibly based in Lowestoft. I dont know.

Sgt. Hugh Mowberry Salmon
Pte. Fredrick D.H. Ellis
Pte. Frank Fletcher
Pte. Arthur George Gooch

Oulton Patrol (possibly your Somerleyton patrol but listed as Oulton)

Sgt.Russel Robert Leech - Burrows Road,
Pte. Sydney Clement Arthur Fuller
Pte. Willian John Thomas Dolder - Pond farm, Holme Hart ?
Pte.Donald Thomas Colebrook
Pte. Sydney Porter
L/cpl B.G. Bond
Pte. R.J. Bothwright - Theatre Plain, Gt. Yarmouth

There is a bit of vagueness about the area as there have been boundary changes since the war with the Norfolk/Suffolk border altering slightly so the unknown patrol may have been cross border or based in Lowestoft I can say which.
  The next area controlled as a group is the Beccles Group, This covered Lowestoft, Oulton Holton, Soutwold etc and came under Suffolk.
  I hope some of this is of use to you please let me know if you work out who was where.
cartnorthumberland@gmail.com

Re: Mautby Patrol (Norfolk)

Evelyn Simak
Thank you very much, Stephen.  We'll certainly try to find out more.

The name Blyth/Fritton is mentioned on a family history page (a cached page on Google) compiled by Mr Blyth's grandson (pasted below, for the record):

"Grandad had 'home guard call up ( just like dads army!) and needed to attend meetings in the village hall. His name was anomomously put forward to be an auxillary and he was accepted on to the secret training course. Grandad told later how on the course they were taught to kill using a knife, a booby trap and explosives. Grandad was promoted to sargeant and became an expert at explosives. He was issued a snipers rifle, a revolver, grenades and a commando knife. We believe that they would have been given access to the name of the person that put forward there names and given instructions to shoot that person to keep their identity secret thus protecting themselves and their families. To protect their own families they were unable to tell them they were a member of the auxillaries. Only in the 1970s when a dugout was discovered by a game keeper did Grandad mention his service in the auxillaries. They used to blow-up trees in order to practice with explosives. Many yrs after the war Grandad still said very little about the auxillaries, though he did describe how a load of manual workers were brought down to Fritton ( and elsewhere) from Scotland/up north to set up under ground dens with secret escape tunnels without knowing where they were. These where designed near hollow trees to allow piping of smoke at tree top level to reduce risk of detection, thus proving them with warmth and the ability to cook. Grandad was never clear about the site of this but dad thinks it was somewhere near the end of Blocker Run. Dad can recall playing with bullets ( like dominos!!) and pistol (but not together) that were stored in a box under the stairs ( til 1946). Detonators were also kept in the house. One day on a milk round Grandad spotted an unexploded doodle bug in a field ( these were the bombs that flew them selves over from Germany, there duration of flight being determined by the amount of fuel on board. ) the following day the device exploded killing a number of the bomb disposal crew."

Beccles Patrol:

The following information was compiled by Adrian Pye and comes from Mr Bartram (corn merchant) who is the son of the Patrol Leader.  He remembers helping out his father when he was at Coleshill on training exercises.  After his father's passing he passed on all information to Parham BROM.

Their OB was situated in Worlingham Woods and has since been obliterated.

Captain Greenfield aka Captain Blackbird - CO North Suffolk and South Norfolk

Captain (Lt) WDG Bartram  (Corn Merchant, Beccles) - Patrol Leader
Sgt Kenny Pink (Yarmouth)
Corporal Lenny Hill
Pte ? Thirkettle (Theberton)?
'Wag' West
Sonny Spall (Beccles)
Cecil Cole (Beccles)
Reggie Goffin (Beccles)

Re: Mautby Patrol (Norfolk)

Tony Tungate
L J TUNGATE was my father - Leslie James Tungate. He worked for Charles Wharton and ended up as Farm Manager. He worked there from 14 years of age until retirement - 51 years. After his death mum told me that he had a pistol during the 2nd World War and that he went away at weekends for training but that was all she knew.

Re: Mautby Patrol (Norfolk)

Tony Tungate
Group 5 Patrol B L J Tingate
Group 5 Patrol B A J K Wolterton

Tingate should read TUNGATE Leslie James - know as Pop.
AJK Wolterton should read WOOLTORTON Arthur

Re: Mautby Patrol (Norfolk)

Evelyn Simak
Many thanks for getting in touch, Tony.  We will update our report accordingly.

Best
Evelyn

On 20 September 2012 19:53, Tony Tungate [via Coleshill House - Auxiliary Unit Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Group 5 Patrol B L J Tingate
Group 5 Patrol B A J K Wolterton

Tingate should read TUNGATE Leslie James - know as Pop.
AJK Wolterton should read WOOLTORTON Arthur

http://coleshill-house-auxiliary-unit-forum.15901.n3.nabble.com/Mautby-Patrol-Norfolk-tp3099262p4024838.html
To unsubscribe from Mautby Patrol (Norfolk), click here.
NAML