Langton Matravers

Andrew Norman
My brother Pete found this the other day, on the morning of our grandmother's 100th birthday party.  She is the widow of Ernie Norman, and we are pretty sure she had no idea he was in the Langton unit - his daughter (also present) didn't know, and we are confident our late father would also have said something had he known.  Of the names on the Langton page (http://www.coleshillhouse.com/langton-matravers-auxiliary-unit-patrol-purbeck.php) "Emie" should be "Ernie" (looks much the same on a computer screen, but it's RN rather than M), and "Hayson" should probably be "Haysom" (well-known local name).  Hedley Lander's sons lived very near our grandparents (just up the hill from where the bunker was), and Nelson Burt was possibly a cousin, certainly someone our grandfather knew before the war (it's the sort of area where most people are cousins of some sort).  Ernie was a fireman in the AFS during the blitz, stationed at Carter Lane near St Paul's in 1939 during the worst of it, and returned to Langton in about 1940/41.  He died in late 1964.

Re: Langton Matravers

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for getting in touch and becoming a CART member.

I have corrected the mistakes on the patrol page now and added this chat post to the page itself.

I am sure our Dorset researcher will be keen to talk to you.

Are you aware that Peter White is trying to get a monument together for the patrol?

Re: Langton Matravers

Andrew Norman
Just to note that it seems unlikely that Ernie Norman was a member of the patrol - Douglas (his twin brother) was a member.