ID help, please

Evelyn Simak
Hi All

One of the objects found in situ in one of the OBs we've recently visited is this hand pump - please see picture below.  Has anybody else come across this type of pump in an OB?  We are wondering what it was used for.  Ideas?

The only other mention of a pump (a bilge pump) that I have found, published under 'Humberside', is in the following article - http://www.coleshillhouse.com/sigglesthorne-auxiliary-unit.php.  It is a description of Sigglesthorne AU.  Unfortunately there is no picture of the pump.

Cheers,
Evelyn

Re: ID help, please

Dave Blair
Hi Evelyn,

              To me it looks like an oil pump/hydraulic type. I have never seen anything like this in the OB's i have visited here in Scotland. Do you think it could be related to opening the OB hatch cover, by oil pump hand operated mechanism? Rather than counter balance weights on some OB's. Only other thing which you mentioned was bilge pump for bailing out OB in case rain water ingress to OB. In this case i would assume the pipes/hoses would be of a wider dimension for water to flow through.The ones in the image are thinner and in a better condition than the body of the 'pump'
Intersting though...nice find, albeit in intriguing one!!

Kind regards,

David

Re: ID help, please

Evelyn Simak
Many thanks for your thoughts, Dave.  It has occurred to us that the pump might have something to do with the hatch opening mechanism.  It is situated within the entrance shaft, not far below the entrance opening - you can see part of a rusty steel rung to the left of it.  Because of its position it could only have been used from the inside, though.  I am guessing that the better condition of the thin pipes might be explained by the material they are made of.

Best
Evelyn

Re: ID help, please

Dave Blair
Thanks Evelyn,
                       The thin pipes do suggest they contained oil' you are correct about them being of a different material to the main body,if the hatch was heavy and difficult to open from the inside(limited room to push hatch open or exert energy to do so in the confined entrance chamber) by using a hand operated pump this task would be easier. Maybe a prototype to test efficiency...This could be an interesting thread??

Regards,

Dave

Re: ID help, please

Evelyn Simak
Hi Dave

We went back to the site today with CART member Gerry Sutcliffe, and this time we managed to establish that the pump was indeed used for lifting the heavy (originally hinged) cover - a wooden box filled with soil and planted for camouflage.

There are two sumps/drains in the floor of the structure and it is safe to say, we think, that this excludes the use of a pump for draining purposes.

Best
Evelyn