How long would the Aux Units have lasted if we had been invaded?

How long would the Aux Units have lasted if we had been invaded?

David Blair kicks us off by saying

"Probably more than the 2 week life expectancy given to the Ops side. But slowly dwindled out once the Germans had transported most males to Europe to help rebuild the Reich. You look at current occupations ongoing in our modern world and resistance is very much surviving. Things like sabotage and disrupting the industry side of the German machine would be all that would be left of an old world. Once the end of the 40's came and we entered a new era of the 50's, then resistance would be mostly finished with."

Re: How long would the Aux Units have lasted if we had been invaded?

Ian Dawson
Probably not much more than the two weeks which is usually quoted as their life expectancy, based on the food rations they were issued with. However, food wasn't the problem. The two weeks was more of an operational life expectancy, based on how much sabotage equipment they had, and how the invasion was going generally (assuming the OB wasn't discovered or that they weren't caught in the act sooner).
The AU were issued with a certain amount of explosives, detonators, timers, etc, and once they had used it, it was gone. There was no guarantee that the AU could capture further supplies from the Germans, and there was no organisation in place to re-supply them, unlike resistance groups in occupied Europe later in the war, which received arms drops from the RAF.
The other factor is that two weeks into an invasion, the outcome would have been obvious, one way or the other. If the Germans had had their supply line cut by the Royal Navy and been bottled up in South East Kent by the Army, the AU would have had no part to play in the mopping-up operations. If the Germans had managed to break out and get as far as London or beyond, then AU operations would have been little more than a pinprick, which would have had no bearing on the German victory. The surving Auxiliers would have had no real option but to quietly slip back into society, and hope no-one asked any awkward questions.
A resistance movement probably would have formed throughout an occupied Britain, but it would have had little or no connection with the AU, and most of its members wouldn't have had any idea that the AU had even existed.

Re: How long would the Aux Units have lasted if we had been invaded?

Richard Ashley, CART's Weapons Adviser adds;

Once the invasion drew the Germans into their area, to appear from nowhere in the night, destroy whatever then disappear would have been a huge morale destroyer for the invaders. Especially when they had swept across Europe almost unopposed by clandestine destruction. Just like the sniper, being in a "safe" area and then to be taken out by an unseen enemy can and does cause panic. A good sniper is truly worth his weight in gold. However, these folk would have realised that their chance of a long service medal would not have been an issue. They would have been hunted down with dreadful efficiency, the use of dogs for scent and intelligence gleaned from tortured locals would eventually lead them to where the BRO. were located.

How long would that have taken ?
That of course is anyone's guess and will remain so but, looking with hindsight which is a clever thing afterwards, two weeks would seem probably very accurate. Then perhaps it would have been, how many rounds fired from the inky black of the O.B. at the invaders before grenade or bullet find their mark would be anyone's guess.
Certainly, facing such odds, these incredible folk should be held in the highest esteem, nobody could do more for the defence of this once great land. Thank you, every one of you, whoever you are.

Re: How long would the Aux Units have lasted if we had been invaded?

CART Yorkshire
Banned User
I agree with most posts and if the AU had become too bothersome I think teams of Special Units would of been sent in to seek out and destroy them. Once the invasion was over and we were contained they would of had all the time in the world.

Re: How long would the Aux Units have lasted if we had been invaded?

Shaun
Interesting thread guys,

However if you look at it in the way the Taliban are working in Afghanistan at the minute. I think they would have lasted for a longer period. the facts of the matter would be.

- Speak English.
- Know the local area well.
- Able to live off of the land.
- I presume they would be well supported by the local population (Food wise, etc)
- Able to blend in with local population. (once uniform is dumped).

I think the only problems they would face would be colaborators and being caught red handed!

However like alot of you have said it wouldnt be to long before the Germans started sending out teams to deal with them.
Interested in anything related to Auxiliary Wiltshire Patrols and the Wiltshire Regt.