Help needed with Auxiliary Unit related ideas for children aged 7 - 15.

Help needed with Auxiliary Unit related ideas for children aged 7 - 15.

CART CIO Nina Hannaford is looking for ideas of events or games for members of her local YAC (Young Archaeologists Club)

They are aged between 7 and 15 and the ideas or games need to be designed to introduce them to the Auxiliary Units so they would be keen to learn more.

Please post all your suggestions below.

Re: Help needed with Auxiliary Unit related ideas for children aged 7 - 15.

Bill Ashby
Hi Nina

I would suggest something like map making - get them drawing maps, then reading them.

Teach them to use a compass.

Compass work - using a compass get them to walk out on a compass bearing.  You could hide something or somebody some distance on a set bearing.

Develope this so that they can follow a route.  Split them into teams to make it competitive.  Follow a circular route via check points or signs.

When I was in the Army in Malaya we were sent out from our jungle camp on a bearing for 1000 yards - after about 50 we looked back but could not see the camp.  We continued on the bearing.  Noted what was at our destination then turned around on the reverse bearing (i.e - 180 degrees).  We were being very careful and would have missed the camp completely but luckily someone in the silenced camp coughed which gave their position away.

Re: Help needed with Auxiliary Unit related ideas for children aged 7 - 15.

Nina Hannaford
Great idea Bill, Thank You !
Might manage to lose a few if we are lucky !