Hawkins Mine

Kev55
Hi, Just wondering if the Auxiliars, were issued with the number 75 Hawkins mine/ AT grenade ?? Kev

Re: Hawkins Mine

Hi Kev,

Please find below an explanation from our Armourer Richard Ashley.

'No. 75 Hawkins was a pint sized polish tin full of H.E. with a housing on top for 2 glass capsule igniters. They were mainly for anti-tank use but could also be used for demolition using a det. connected to a length of safety fuse.

They were officially introduced in June 1942 and normally, introduction dates are far later than actual "user" start dates but, I've found no records of their use by the Aux-Units. However, that makes no difference to the price of fish as they say. It would have been absolutely ideal for their role so perhaps the Hawkins has been forgotten over the years. Although the tin only used a pound of explosive, it would and did blow off any known tank track used in the war. Original examples command hundreds of pounds nowadays, even in quite rough condition.

As a quick answer, anti-tank, effective, cheap, as light as a pound plus a polish tin plus 2 dets, should have been used by them in huge numbers but I've never heard of any recorded use by them.'

Re: Hawkins Mine

Kev55
I agree entirely that the 75 would have fitted the bill down to a tee, as near perfect as for the Auxiliers job, as you could get really,  but no records of it, how strange, especially considering that German tanks were a huge worry after Dunkirk. I'm keeping an open mind on this one, and wouldn't be surprised if one day info turns up to say that the Auxiliers were issued with 75's in 1941, before anyone else had it. Kev

Re: Hawkins Mine

Hi Kev,

Keep us posted if you hear anything.

If you are keen to get involved in our research please email us.