HOME GUARD ESSEX

Bill A
Looking for Photographs, information, Insignia of 7th Essex Bn. Home Guard which had it's H.Q. at Witham.  Lt.Col. R.W. MacDonald DSO., C.I.E.  was C.O. in 1943.  Bn stood down 3/12/1944

Re: HOME GUARD ESSEX

Matt Gibbs
Hello Bill;
Interesting you say he was CO in 1943. The Stand Down Home Guard book by L B Whittacker, which details all the units and numbers shows Essex 7 at Witham with MacDonald as CO but the appointment to rank date is shown as 1st January 1944. It doesn't say what else he did before that.
I don't have the reprinted Home Guard Commands list that covers Essex I'm afraid. The Eastern Command one is the one you would need to check, which might list him. He isn't in the Kent, Surrey and Sussex list I have.
Regards
Matt

Re: HOME GUARD ESSEX

Bill A
Matt

This is what I have .....

7th Bn. Essex  Home Guard.

 ‘Warmen Courageous’ by Peter Finch (1951) has a chapter on every Home Guard battalion in  Essex.

one chapter is headed.....  “Dunmow Sector : the 7th Essex Battalion Home Guard”.

 Which has the following references......

In 1943 Colonel Turner Commanded the Battalion with Major R.W. MacDonald DSO CIE as Second-in-Command.

It would seem he was also the O.C. of ‘F’ Company because another note reads:   –
Jan 1944 Major J.A.C. Kiddle appointed O.C. ‘F’ Coy (formally HQ Coy) vice Maj. MacDonald.

On page 157 it describes a ‘suggestion from Higher Command’ that the more elderly Battalion Commanders should offer their resignations.

Page 158 reads ..... In Col. Turner’s case he remained in Command of 7th Battalion until the end of 1943, when he was succeeded by Major MacDonald who was duly promoted......

Lt. Col. Roderick William MacDonald DSO Commanding Officer 7th Essex Bn. Home Guard

The book made no reference to ‘Pioneers’ or ‘Auxiliary Units’.  It did mention the 7th Bn holding Weekend Training Courses at Braxted .  The MacDonald home was near Gt Braxted.

Re: HOME GUARD ESSEX

drop zone
Off topic maybe, are there sand dunes at jay wick sands and St Osyth Priory? as I used to go there with my grand parents  when I was younger.

reason I ask is I remember a red land mine with a chain attached to the bottom of it when I was a child maybe it opened something hidden in some dunes somewhere. my Grandfather bob and grandmother louise, and aunt mary showed me a few things, not wanting to waste your time with this post I didnt realise jaywick sands was in essex.

Re: HOME GUARD ESSEX

Brian M
Hi folks,
My name is Brian,formerly from Essex but now in College Station the home of Texas A&M University in the USA.I am retired and doing some very specific research into the Essex Home Guard in 1942.According to information garnered from the book "Warmen Courageous" by Major Peter Finch,more specifically I am attempting to track down 12 individuals all from No1 platoon, "B" Southend-on-Sea company, 1st Essex Home Guard.According to the above source on June 20 & 21 a Corporal Dace plus 11 privates:Barber,Cornwalls,Cottrell,Fennings,Flack,Manning,Mullinder,Osborne,Robinson,Sims & Tawney put on a demonstration at the Home Guard camp at Weald Park near Brentwood.
The whole two day programme is presented in detail in the above book on page 37-42 & from this we can see that there was a 'photosession' for 6 out the 12 from 1300-13.15 hrs on Sunday June 21st.
Also in this book are two black & white photos one to the right of page 36 showing a corporal plus 4 others.There is another to the left of page 41 which again shows the corporal but this time with 5 others. I think that it is very reasonable to assume that these photos were taken on June 21st 1942 and depict corporal Dace plus some of his mates from 1 Platoon.Unfortunately I do not have their initials just surname & rank in 1942.I would be interested in any information whatsoever about these photos, this particular weekend at Weald Park or any & all of these men.In addition I would be very interested to get in contact with any relatives they might have.Thanks Brian