Gloucestershire Auxiliary Units

Shadrach
During a visit to the BRO museum, I was shown a map of Gloucestershire showing two known units, one between Cheltenham & Gloucester and one in the Lea area (near the long railway tunnel there), east of Ross-on-Wye.

Since Gloucestershire Units are not on the surviving 'nominal roll', does anyone have information on these units or any others in the county.

Thanks
Nick Marshall
Nick Marshall
Re-enacting Auxiliary Units as a member of Shadrach patrol (Herefordshire).

Re: Gloucestershire Auxiliary Units

Matt Gibbs
I seem to think there might have been something on the auxunits org website, but maybe that was another query by you? My memory is not certain.
As a living history bod will you be coming to the Coleshill 70th event? If you drop me an email.
regards
Matt

Re: Gloucestershire Auxiliary Units

STEPHEN LEWINS

  The units were under Hereford HG command.
The "Shadrach" patrol was part of the 5th Battalion Herefords HG.
O.B. near Ross-on-Wye on Coppitt Hill near Symonds Yat and Welsh Bignor railway tunnels.
Patrol Sgt Frank Green
         Cpl Harry Sainsbury
         Pte John Sainsbury
         Pte Guy Sainsbury
         Pte Ted Price
later  Pte W.A. Winch

 The "Caleb" patrol was part of 3rd Herefords HG.
O.B.on Dinedor Hill over looking the Wye valley. The targets were th railway ans The Royal Ordnance factory at Rotherwas. The O.B. may have been abandoned after a regular army officier and his lady friend used it foe "romantic" meetings!!
Patrol Sgt Angus Wilson
         Cpl Dennis Howard-Smith
         Pte John Cleland
         Pte John Ryan
         Pte Ernest Tisdale
         Pte Leslie Hoddell
Later Pte C.H.Williams

Re: Gloucestershire Auxiliary Units

Hi guys,

We dont have anything on the site for Gloucestershire.

What confirmed evidence do you have between you that we can add please?

Re: Gloucestershire Auxiliary Units

Stephen Lewins
Hello Tom in answer to the question about Glouc. Aux. the names do survive in the nominal roles which the National Archive at Kew has. They are mixed in with Hereford as Hereford was the main group so the Glouc. dont get a separate mention.
   The Mercian Marquis book by Bernard Lowery and Mick Wilkes also has most of the details and is a very good book on the Aux.

Re: Gloucestershire Auxiliary Units

Thanks for that Stephen. I have just got that book and have spoken to one of the writers who hopes to help CART further.

Re: Gloucestershire Auxiliary Units

Leeds Andy
Evening Everyone

I was just wondering if anybody has been able glean anymore information regarding the Gloucestershire Patrols?

As this is where i'm now based (Yorkshireman in exile) and it would be nice find out about local Patrols.

Regards

Andy