Enfield Pistol.

Shaun
Was this pistol ever issued to the Auxiliary units at all?

Interested in anything related to Auxiliary Wiltshire Patrols and the Wiltshire Regt.

Re: Enfield Pistol.

Richard Ashley
  Dear Shaun,
    I'm sure you are relating to the Revolver No.2 Mk.1 & 1*. Sorry mate, its an armourers thing, forgive me ! Your question could well be the start of hot debate (hopefully). Having spent at least several months researching all things Aux-Unit firearms, there has been nothing so far to link the Revolver No.2 with them. I'm sure that being a revolver that was requested by Q.M.'s provided they were entitled to demand such might have meant ownership outside the narrow boundaries of Star Item demand and issue might have precluded these been used. Thats the "official" thought.
   We seem to be down the route of .32"ACP, .380" either 200 grain British or 148 grain American ammunition and generally .38"Colt & Smith & Wesson revolvers and .32" (7.65mm.)Colt/Browning/Webley pistols. However, we are looking back at folk who 21 years before, returned from the Great War with many forbidden small pack souvenires, Webley .455" revolvers, 9mm. Lugers and a host of whatever could be secreted away in the hope that them back here were fed up trawling through filthy packs. The area of sea between Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight has to be a hazzard to shipping given that in both wars, tanoys announced that anyone found with anything they shouldn't have will be returned to foriegn duties, serve 500 years in Colchester glasshouse or be beheaded on Tower Hill. The splashes over the side preceded the down the gangplank and onto transport without the slightest examination. Bugger !
   So, given that .455" ammunition was in limited availability to the Home Guard, 9mm. generally so powerful it destroyed Lugers eventually and a bevy of Webleys of various kinds and calibres, no mention of Enfields.
   Nothing is black and white, I have Josef Kramers P38 that Carl Giles called a Luger ! So, don't give in with the search. However, given the strict issues and returns of Enfield revolvers, if any did escape, it might only be a few.
   Stand back to be brought down in flames ! Thats the great thing about the Forum. We know little about not much.