East & North Yorkshire Patrols

CART Yorkshire
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Any information on North or East Yorkshire however small you may think it is, please dont hesitate to get in touch with me at CARTYorkshire@gmail.com

Re: EY Patrols

The book is excellent and you will find Alan has covered a huge amount of the ground.

What CART needs to do is translate this data into modern reports that match our other patrol reports. We also need to obtain 'new' interviews and accounts along the way.

Re: East & North Yorkshire Patrols

ken cawood
hi i was informed by several local people that my father george william[bill] cawood was one of chuchills secret army,unfortunantly this was several years after his death.he ran an agricultural haulage  company from the village of west lutton.his official role was that of air raid warden,but a lot of things he talked about made me think there must have more to his role,i  only wish i had probed a bit more,but none of us were aware that these units even existed.i just wished to post this in his memory.

Re: East & North Yorkshire Patrols

CART Yorkshire
Banned User
Hi Ken
Thanks for getting in touch with us, I have searched my files and I cannot find any details on your Father regarding being a member of the Auxiliary Units. However just because he's not on the list doesn't mean he wasn't involved in some way. During the War when he was a Warden did he have the Agricultural Haulage Company in that time, maybe there is a link to this has if he was around the area he could of used the cover of the Haulage Company to be carrying out some clandestine work for the Patrols. In the area of West Lutton you have 8 patrols almost circling it so if your transporting goods around it would have made a lot of sense to have used that cover. You say he talked about things can you be more specific and what did the local people have to say about his service. If you want to email me direct on cartyorkshire@gmail.com I would be very interested to hear what you have heard.

Re: East & North Yorkshire Patrols

Steve Marshall
My Grandfather George William Cogill was a self employed builder in the Lancashire north Yorkshire area during the war, He was classed as a reserve occupation yet i have seen photo's of him in uniform in a wedding photo with his brothers one in the army one in the RAF. he never spoke about his war time experiences apart from one tail about being in a Sgt mess and his training sergeant buying him drinks to butter him up for membership to the masons which my grandfather was i high level member off.

it seemed strange that he was training when he was not in the forces nor was he a Home Guard my father was an home guardsman but never indicated that his father in law was.

my grandmother would often relate stories of my grandad going off for weeks at a time leaving her to look after my mother single handed and that much of my grand fathers work was in the wirrel and coastal areas of Liverpool.

this all adds up to him either being a adulterous git which i doubt very much you had to know my grandad  and his views on that subject or he was in some form of auxiliary unit. i once saw him in a scrap with four blokes who tried to rob him at a fair he took them all out knocked one out broke  another mans  arm snapped the wrist of a third man with a knife and pummeled the forth he was 62 years old when this happened.

this in my opinion adds up to something, can anyone help