Captain J N W Gwynn

Bill A
Can anyone let me have information on Captain John Gwynn who was very active in Sussex recruiting new patrol members. Need any info especially Regiment, Army No., age etc.
He was an important land owner in and around Lewes and Arundel.

Re: Captain J N W Gwynn

Dorchwill
I think I may have cracked this with a bit of help from Wikipedia.

I think the problem is that we have been looking for the wrong person. Check out Roland Vaughan Gwynne on Wikipedia - he meets ticks all the boxes (almost!). He was a major landowner in Lewes area of Sussex, he was an ex-army officer (indeed had won DSO) from WW1 and was Deputy Lt for Sussex, placing him in ideal position as recruiter for Aux Units.

Looking at the surces for the name John Gwynn, the first is The Last Ditch, where his surname only is mentioned on P90 with no biographical detail. The only mention of Capt JNW is in the index. Warwicker's WBiMD gives Edmundson's recollections of him as a prospective Conservative Parliamentary candidate and Grenadier (though he says the same of Lord Ashley who certainly wasn't). He repeats the JNW bit, which must be from Last Ditch. I have checked through the other family members as far as I can see, as all his brothers were older, it wasn't them and they also weren't landowners. He had no children and can't see that his siblings had any sons who would fit the bill.

The only downside is that I can't find his commission for WW2, though sometimes transcription in London Gazette can be a bit off which makes a single event hard to find. He was 58 in 1940, so was quite old for an IO, which perhaps explains his early replacement.

I wonder if the odd story that features on Wikipedia explains his lack of a further mention in The Last Ditch.

A clincher would be commission as Capt Intelligence Corps circa July 1940 - happy hunting!

Re: Captain J N W Gwynn

Bill A
Does this help or hinder?

I have found the following entry in the ARMY LIST April 1940

A Lt-Col  Formally in Sussex Yeomanry - did he drop down to Captain in order stay in the Army with AUX?

What else can we find - the hunt goes on.

Re: Captain J N W Gwynn

Dorchwill
A bit more info that probably confuses the issue
Roland's elder brother Neville had a son John Gwynne, born 1905,died 1980. I can't find any middle names for him and he appears not to have had any children. There is a good family tree on the timbershack web site. Perhaps it was John Gwynne after all!

Re: Captain J N W Gwynn

Dorchwill
Finally cracked this thanks to Roland and Neville as clues on the way
John Neville Wake Gwynne (37916) Royal Artillery (prewar Surrey & Sussex Yeomany brigade - Artillery) who appears on the Peerage.com website as well. I still can't find a wartime commission but made from war substantive to full captain in 1950 and was lt from 1933 so it must be there.
So David Lampe had the correct details after all then. Perhaps he was suggested by his uncle Roland who had been asked for advice as Deputy Lord lt for Sussex.

Re: Captain J N W Gwynn

Bill A
Well done Will. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that County TA Associations had the authority to Commission Officers and this was done by the Lord Lieutenant maybe they did not get recorded in the London Gazette

Re: Captain J N W Gwynn

Will Carmichael
My great Uncle was Major JNW Gwynne who was in the SOE in Greece in WW2. Roland Gwynne was a relative of his (sorry not to be more specific, but I could find out more).

Re: Captain J N W Gwynn

Hi Will,

Please can you email cartcoleshill@gmail.com directly as they have some questions for you?

Thank you.