Auxiliary Map

Kev55
Hi, I've been following and doing my own research into the Auxiliary for a while now, and I don't quite understand why there is a huge gap in Auxiliary units starting at below London and continuing up the country, as, (I believe) London would have been a main target, and from there Birmingham and it's factories, (don't forget that the Spitfire mk2 factory was at Castle Bromwich), surely if the Auxiliary was to be used as an eventual resistance force, the industrial centres would have been just as important if not more so than the sea side. Kev

Re: Auxiliary Map

Hi Kev,

London was not a target. Aux units were not there to stop an attack on London.

Their main role was to slow down an advance from a costal invasion.

Re: Auxiliary Map

Kev55
But in the event that the invasion had gained a strong foothold, (I know it would have been unlikely, and very costly for them), who would have dealt out the guerilla warfare to the invader, and carry on a long term resistance. Were there any plans for making the valuable engineering resources we had, as well as fuel supplies unusable to the German invader

Re: Auxiliary Map

The Home Guard would have looked after these locations.

Aux Units were not operating in that area nor were they set up to last more than a couple of weeks.

Re: Auxiliary Map

Kev55
Was the Auxiliary in Worcester in case of invasion from the Irish sea / Bristol Channel area, with the intent of capturing the Midlands and all of that industry, I ask because Worcester seems a little further from the coast than most other units, or was there another reason for it being there ??.
Most of the evidence for the units that are known, is verbal and from memory, can we be sure that there weren't any other inland counties that had Auxiliary units in them ??
Have we got the full inventory of Auxiliary Units ??
Sorry for all of the questions, but they keep coming to mind and I haven't been able to answer them to my own satisfaction...............yet !