Anti-Invasion Measures Document - Help Needed!!

Anti-Invasion Measures Document - Help Needed!!

Todd P
Dear Forum

I am currently investigating information relating to Colin Gubbins, the home guard, AU's and the planned German invasion of Britain.  This will hopefully culminate in a book that I am planning.

I am now at the point were I am trying to find information relating to what was taught to the Home guard, AU's and civilian forces in hand to hand fighting, guerrilla methods and counter invasion tactics.  It is at this point I have hit a wall and wondered if your members from CART may be able to assist.

I've managed to track down the name of a document written by Captain William E. Fairbairn - of commando dagger fame - entitled "Anti-Invasion Measures of Defence Tactics”  This was apparently written in July 1940, and I assume has to do with the special training centre instructors that trained civilians as a resistance force.  I'm hoping that this document could shed some more light on the methods behind the lessons taught to the average man in the street.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to track down this material.  I've searched on-line, through the national archives site, the IWM, etc, etc, but so far have drawn a blank.

Do you know if this document still actually exists and where I might find it?  This is an area that I have limited knowledge of, so I would of course give full accreditation to any person or organisation in the final draft of the book that can assist in pointing me in the right direction.

People can contact me directly if they prefer at; todd-peters@mail.com

Any guidance or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many, many thanks to Tom for allowing me to put out this appeal on the forum.

Todd

Re: Anti-Invasion Measures Document - Help Needed!!

Stephen lewins
Hello

  i dont know if Gubbins wrote a paper or instructions for the training of the Aux. I got his file from the NA at Kew it doesnt give much away. There is a book by Peter Wilkinson called Gubbins and the SOE this covers the Aux period but does not go into much detail. The original training booklet was the Partisan Leader's Handbook, the principles of Guerilla Warfare and Sabotage. Based on training and techniques employed in the Spanish civil war and the British in Ireland.
 I dont know if thi helps but it might

Stephen cartnorthumberland

Re: Anti-Invasion Measures Document - Help Needed!!

Todd P
Hi Stephen

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have the Wilkinson book (Gubbins/SOE) and its an excellent read, as is the Partisans leaders manual (again a valuable resource).

No this document is post-that, mid 1940 I believe.  I have no real idea what its contents contain, but as the title suggests and because of its author, I would assume that its was more of the same of what Gubbins had been promoting in MI (R).

Its obviously very frustrating and apart from offering a cash reward for information, it seems that the search will have to continue as before.  Once again if anybody has any ideas then please feel free to contact me PM or email is fine.

Many, many thanks

Todd

Re: Anti-Invasion Measures Document - Help Needed!!

Stephen lewins
Hello Again

  Have you looked at CAB 120/240 from Kew this document has the set up of the Aux. and Scout patrols, what is expected from them and their I/O's. Some training is listed and I think there is a reference to Coleshill House for training courses. It might help. The leters are mainly between Ismay and Duncan.

cheers Stephen

Re: Anti-Invasion Measures Document - Help Needed!!

Todd P
Dear Forum members

Many thanks for all your assistance with this matter, I had several very useful and informative emails regarding this subject, and especially to Stephen - on this forum - for pointing me in the direction of the files at TNA.

A big thanks must go out to Mr. Phillip Matthews for coming up trumps and saving the day with his generosity and expertise.  A true gentleman.

Best regards

Todd