AUX INSIGNIA

Bill Ashby
In 'LEWES AT WAR 1939-1945' by R.A. Ellington a Auxilier describes his Unit badge as 'a Red Dormouse on a Khaki ground'.  Has anyone seen this badge or any other Aux Unit badges'?

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

Hi Bill,

Not sure about the badge you mentioned but the main Auxiliary Unit badge is shown below.

Auxiliary Unit Badge

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

DAVID BLAIR
Hi Bill,
       There is indeed a badge of a dormouse, and it was issued to units who were responsible for demolitions and to act as tank hunters and saboteurs once the Germans had established themselves in the UK. It represents  a 'wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie', perforce obliged to adopt a silent and stealthy approach to war. The dormouse was embroidered in pink on a khaki rectangle. I have an image of the badge which i will send to you. Original insignia fetch staggering prices, recently one wet for over £400 !!!
 Bill i will get the information you asked regarding the IO's for Scotland for once I'm back home, overseas at the moment.

Regards,
            Dave Blair

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

Hi David,

Thanks for replying to Bill.

Would you mind posting the image here as well so we can all see it please?

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

DAVID BLAIR
DORMOUSE BADGE

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

Thanks David.

The image appears to be too large for the window.

Would you mind uploading again but this time select small in the image upload options...That should solve it.

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

DAVID BLAIR
DORMOUSE BADGE

Hope this image size is better Tom, Kind regards,
                                                                   Dave

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

Bill would like me to add this image as well.

Not sure where it was sourced from.

Doormouse

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

Matt Gibbs
Tom;
Just to add, the Auxunits shield insignia was never worn on uniform during the time the Auxunits were "live" in WW2, it was only issued afterwards.
They routinely wore standard sized and coloured Home Guard type flashes with the county letters and then 201, 202 or 203 depending on which part of the country they were based.
I will try and find a photo of the 202 badges in my collection for your site.
regards
Matt

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

Bill A
These Dormice must be breeding - here's another.

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

Clive Bassett
Some interesting examples of the "Doormouse", my one is also slightly different to the others. Just wonder if all are original? Regards, Clive.

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

Clive Bassett
I think my mouse above is too big, smaller size attached, regards, Clive.

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

David Blair
Hi Clive,
           There were a few variations on the dormouse theme, and certain dyes used in the dormouse colour may have been washed out over the years., so, yes ,its very possible that your one is the real deal.....The one i have is a rather dull pinkish colour,a bit ragged...it was given to me in 1994 by a gentleman who used to go fishing with my dad, after my dads funeral we met up and he gave me an envelope containing amongst other things this badge. It was a few months later when home on leave i opened the envelope and recognised the badge. I had seen something  similar in Len Whitakers book.

There are copies of this badge selling on e-bay just now, modern copies . Dont know how good the quality of finish on them is. probably okay for a space filler or interest.

kind regards,
                 David

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

Clive Bassett
Thank you for your comments David, I did not realise there were such a number of variations. Can you give the eBay link for the copies on sale, or the search words, I tried Doormouse etc but could not find them. I would like to think that mine is an original, fairly sure I bought it as such a long time ago. Len Whitakers book is an excellent reference, I think the first that addressed Special Force Insignias. I am hoping that soon someone will post original 201, 202 and 203 Titles. It seems difficult to believe the value of original titles, just small pieces of cloth. To someone who is not familiar with these rare pieces a value of a couple of pounds tops, for a collector significantly higher! Regards, Clive.

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

DAVID BLAIR
Hi Clive,
          Sorry, I forgot to add the item number for the dormouse badge, the item number is: 390111626321

kind regards,
                 David

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

Matt Gibbs
Hello Clive;
I know someone who has 201 so I will ask him to scan it for me, I'll see him tomorrow at Stoneleigh. I have 202 and will take a pic after the weekend when I'm back from Coleshill. Never seen 203 for sale, but I am sure they are out there and come up now and again. I heard about someone with a massive collection of Home Guard numbers and titles taken off old rotten or damaged BDs and also taken off BDs at the time when no one wanted old Home Guard stuff, so the badges were taken off and the BD sold on to collectors as 'plain' unbadged. I am hoping to make contact with him sometime to check if he has anything unusual.
Regards
Matt

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

Bill A
Found this somewhere

203 = Southern Area.    SX = Sussex  so I guess there would be other County letters like KT Kent etc

See my Command Chart on this Forum for listing.

Re: AUX INSIGNIA

Matt Gibbs
Ooh, brilliant Bill, really nice item. Thanks for finding it.